Did feminist nerds just skip Dredd?
Because that movie deserves feminist praise, and I haven’t really seen any.
- There are 4 characters that get significant screen time. 2 of them are women.
- The main villain is a woman, she’s bad ass and feels like a legitimate threat. (seriously, if you change the setting and technology she could easily be a drug lord in a gritty crime drama)
- The female villain’s back story includes having been a prostitute. That fact is never used to belittle her in any way.
- Men and Women judges wear the same, fully protective uniform
- Dredd’s superior officer is a black woman. She’s not portrayed as being a bitch, and Dredd treats her with respect.
-The female protagonist, while being the special snowflake character that underachieved but was sill made a judge because she’s special, held her own the entire movie.
- At one point Dredd’s life is saved by a woman